Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Scrabble Family Names

I saw these scrabble tiles on a google search last fall and fell in love. My husband ordered and cut the wood last October but time got a head of me and I didn't get a chance to finish it till this last week. I am in love. I am so happy that we did it. Below are some of the steps it took to complete it.





The first step was to decide what we wanted it to look like including what words to use. I choose the names of our immediate family members. I used this generator to try different combinations to find the one I found most aesthetically pleasing:

I then sketched it out to determine how many of which letters were needed.


My husband cut the wood. We use reclaimed rail road wood that's approximately 3"x3" and Derek, my husband, has cut them approximately .33" thick.


Next, I sanded the wood and designed and cut the 'Scrabble' style letters and corresponding numbers on my silhouette. Then I cut and weeded the vinyl. The hardest part was setting it down in between 'crafting sessions' and not continuing on all night.


The second to final step was applying the vinyl to the wood. I use Oracal Vinyl. So far it has been my favorite brand and seems to hold and transfer the best.

 The final step was mounting it to the wall. I found these removable mounting circles with a level and a measuring tape to be the best way to do it. I used the measuring tape to mark the center of where I wanted my display to be and worked my way out from there. So far, these mounting circles have been quite successful. As you can see on the picture below, I originally mounted the "E" a little high and had to move the entire row down, they all peeled off and remounted and have successfully held since.


I am very happy with these and it was well worth the wait and anticipation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment