Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Winter Gnomes and New Beginnings

Link to tutorial: http://rainydaycraftess.blogspot.com/2017/02/holiday-gnomes.html
Last year, I went through a bit of a mid-life 'Christmas Crisis'. There was a lot more to it then that. Not anything religious. I love Christmas. I love the traditions. I love celebrating the birth of Christ. In fact, it wasn't Christmas itself, it's just when it hit. I needed something different. I was kind of stuck in a rut.

Life on a daily basis had become just the essentials; work, sleep, exercise, physical and spiritual nourishment and family time. While all of these were important, I was burning myself out. While I was at my in-laws for Christmas, a very good place for me to be, because it forces me to slow down, I saw these DIY gnomes. I got really excited about making them. It must have rubbed off because I enlisted all of my sisters (in-law) to go in on it with me and we made sets for all of us. It was so much fun! That was the beginning of it. 

Not long after, I was called to Jury Duty, spending hours waiting. That's when I started my Rainy Day Craftess Instagram account and the blog. It was a fun way to share what I've created and give and get ideas.


It's crazy to look back at this year and see how many crafts I've made. They span over a large genre from wreaths to wall decor to banners to t-shirts to pillows to ornaments to wood burning. I think I will end up settling down with a few but it's fun trying it all.

I've been happier, more relaxed and more energized this year. My husband has noticed the difference and has been wonderfully supportive, to the point the I have to be the one to say, "no more investing [money]" because he's thinks (knows) it's worth the mental health to financially support the hobby!

Last year at Christmas, I wanted to get rid of all our Christmas decorations and just start over. Everything seemed so dark and gloomy. We didn't. (Well, I did pass our stockings and a few things on to my sweet sis who really wanted them and could use them but for the most part, I just added on and switched up). I love our decorations this year and I'm excited about the ones were giving as gifts and helping others with as well. It's been exciting and I'm looking forward to another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment